Chapter 976: Calculating Scholar 31

For a moment, Mother Li could only say awkwardly, “So it’s twenty taels… that’s fine then. I misunderstood earlier—I thought the Ye family was taking advantage of you having no family and trying to send you off with just two taels.”

“It’s alright. The Ye family is very sincere,” Tang Wan replied calmly.

Seeing her speak up for them, Mother Li couldn’t help asking, “Are you really set on marrying into the Ye family?”

“Mm, I’m sure,” Tang Wan nodded. “When the time comes, Auntie and Brother Afu must come and have a drink at my wedding.”

Mother Li forced a smile. “Of course! I’ve watched you grow up—you’re just like my own daughter.”

But inwardly, she was seething.

Such a beautiful girl, and I had planned for her to marry into our family… only to have her snatched away by the Ye family halfway! If I had known, I would have settled the marriage between her and Afu earlier.

Thinking of this, she couldn’t help but blame Li Fuze.

She had warned him long ago that Tang Wan would only grow more beautiful with time and that they should secure her early. But he had insisted on chasing higher ambitions, hoping to marry into a wealthy family instead, and had looked down on Tang Wan’s background.

Now look at the result.

What he had dismissed—someone else had taken.

At this point, she could only hope that when Afu passed the exam, he would catch the eye of a rich family’s daughter in town. Only then would both his marriage and his future be secured.

Meanwhile, Tang Wan looked at her with apparent emotion. “Auntie, after my parents passed away, it was thanks to your care that I could grow up safely. In my heart, you’ve long been like a mother to me, and Brother Afu like an older brother.”

Hearing this, Mother Li found it difficult to say anything more. She simply nodded. “Since the Ye family is sincere, then you can marry with peace of mind. I still have work in the fields, so I’ll head back first.”

“Alright, Auntie, take care,” Tang Wan said, seeing her out.

After Mother Li left, Tang Wan gave a soft snort.

If she were truly marrying Li Fuze, forget twenty taels—Mother Li probably wouldn’t even give her a single coin.

Did she really think everyone was like her?

Not long after Tang Wan finished breakfast, there was a knock at the door.

“Wan Wan, it’s me.”

Hearing the familiar voice, Tang Wan immediately ran out. “Tong Tong, you’re here?”

“Mm. My mother picked some fresh vegetables this morning and asked me to bring you some,” Ye Qingtong said seriously.

In truth, it was just an excuse to come see her.

Tang Wan quickly let him inside. “Auntie is too thoughtful! Are you heading to work soon?”

“Mm, I’ll go after dropping these off,” Ye Qingtong nodded. Although he had taken the job mainly to stay close to her, he still needed to do it properly.

Hearing this, Tang Wan’s heart stirred. “Then… what about lunch? Will you go home to eat? Or… would you like to come here?” She paused slightly. “I mean, I can cook for you… though I’m not very good at it.”

Ye Qingtong had been hoping for exactly that.

His eyes lit up instantly. “Alright! But… won’t it trouble you?”

“What trouble?” Tang Wan said softly. “I have to cook for myself anyway. And… you’re my fiancé now. What’s wrong with me making you a meal?” As she spoke, she lowered her head shyly.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter 1: Got Dumped on the Day of the Wedding

Chapter 2: Does It Matter If I Am Gay?

Chapter 4: Diablo 1