Chapter 973: Calculating Scholar 28
“I know, Mother,” Ye Qingtong replied at once, then hurried back home.
When he returned, Tang Wan had already eaten about half of the watermelon in the porcelain bowl. Seeing this, he felt a quiet sense of relief. He went to the kitchen, cut himself a slice, and came back to sit with her.
Watching him gnaw directly on the rind, Tang Wan said softly, “Tong Tong, there’s still plenty in the bowl. Why don’t you eat from there too?”
“No need,” Ye Qingtong replied immediately. “I’ll just eat this. The bowl is for you.”
“Alright,” Tang Wan nodded, picking up a bamboo stick and taking another piece.
As Ye Qingtong ate, his gaze couldn’t help drifting toward her lips. Only then did he notice that her lips were even redder than the watermelon itself. For a moment, his throat tightened, and he quickly took a large bite of the cool fruit, trying to suppress the sudden heat rising in his chest.
After they finished eating, Ye Qingtong brewed a pot of tea for her. Then, trying to keep the conversation going, he asked, “Are your feet feeling better now?”
Tang Wan instinctively drew her feet back under her skirt, then nodded. “Mm, they’re much better.”
“That’s good,” Ye Qingtong said, nodding. After a pause, he added, “Then… what kind of wedding clothes would you like? I may not be able to afford something extravagant, but I can still get you something nice.”
Inwardly, he couldn’t help thinking that if he were wealthy, he would have the finest bridal attire made for her. With her beauty, she would look breathtaking in wedding garments.
Tang Wan lifted her head to look at him, then answered softly, “Anything is fine.”
“Then I’ll choose something for you?” Ye Qingtong asked.
“Mm, that’s fine.”
“And our new house… how would you like it arranged? Or… I can show you now,” he suggested, his heart stirring with anticipation.
Tang Wan hesitated for a moment before nodding. “Alright.”
Seeing her agree, Ye Qingtong immediately stood up. “My room is in the west wing. If you don’t want to live with my parents, I can build a new house nearby after we get married. What do you think?”
That way, they could have their own space while still being close enough to care for his parents. Besides… living with his parents would make certain things inconvenient at night.
Tang Wan didn’t catch the deeper meaning behind his suggestion. She simply nodded. “I’ll listen to you. I’ve always lived alone, but it’s also nice to have a lively household.”
“Mm,” Ye Qingtong said, satisfied.
He opened the door to his room. It wasn’t large, but it was clean and well-kept. Bows and arrows hung neatly on the wall, along with various animal furs he had collected from hunting.
Noticing her gaze lingering there, Ye Qingtong smiled. “These are all furs I’ve saved over the years. I kept the ones with matching colors—you can use them to make a fur cloak later.”
Tang Wan smiled slightly. “Alright.”
Is he… already planning things for his future wife? she thought with amusement.
What she didn’t notice was that, at some point, the door had quietly swung halfway closed.
And Ye Qingtong had moved closer—now standing less than a meter away from her.
Comments
Post a Comment
I'd love to hear your thoughts! Feel free to comment anonymously—no Google account is required. Please keep discussions friendly and respectful๐ธ