Chapter 965: Calculating Scholar 20
Seeing her clear, watery eyes filled with affection, Ye Qingtong suddenly felt his throat go dry. He steadied himself and said, “Living alone, it’s only natural to panic when something like this happens.” After a brief pause, he couldn’t help adding, “But once you’re married and have a husband’s family, you won’t have to face situations like today on your own anymore.”
At these words, Tang Wan’s face flushed slightly. Then she lowered her gaze and said in a soft, self-deprecating tone, “You’re right… but I have no parents and no dowry. What good family would be willing to marry a girl like me?”
Hearing this, Ye Qingtong immediately grew anxious. “How could that be? Miss Tang is gentle and beautiful—any good man would be eager to marry you!”
Tang Wan shook her head lightly, her expression still tinged with sadness. “That’s only because Big Brother Ye is kind. Others don’t think that way. Whether I’ll ever be able to marry in this life… I really don’t know.”
“Nonsense! Why wouldn’t you be able to marry?” Ye Qingtong said at once, his tone firm.
As he spoke, an idea suddenly formed in his mind. Seizing the moment, he quickly continued, “I think you’re very good. I’m seventeen this year and still unmarried. If you don’t mind… I’d like to marry you. What do you think?” His eyes were bright as he looked at her, full of anticipation.
In his heart, he thought: This silly girl doesn’t even realize how many men would go crazy for her face alone. Since she doesn’t understand her own charm… then it’s better that I take this opportunity.
Tang Wan looked at him in apparent surprise. “Really? You… would you be willing to marry me?”
“Of course!” Ye Qingtong replied without hesitation. “It would be my blessing to marry a good girl like you. If you agree, I’ll go back and ask my mother to arrange a matchmaker right away. What do you think?”
Hearing this, Tang Wan lowered her head shyly and nodded. “Alright… I’ll listen to you, Big Brother Ye.”
Inside, however, she was already making a triumphant gesture at Little Cutie.
Little Cutie could only fall silent.
These two… if this wasn’t mutual attraction, who knew what would happen after all this scheming?
Seeing her agree, Ye Qingtong’s face lit up with joy. “Good! I’ll go back and ask my mother to find a matchmaker immediately! You can’t go back on your word—wait for me!”
“Mm!” Tang Wan nodded with a gentle smile, her cheeks still faintly flushed.
At that moment, Ye Qingtong felt as if his heart was about to burst with happiness. He looked at her for a long moment before finally saying, “Then I’ll go back first! I’ll be here before noon!”
“Alright, I’ll wait for you,” Tang Wan replied.
She stood there, watching as his figure disappeared like a gust of wind down the path. Only after he was gone did she slowly turn back into the kitchen, lift the lid of the pot, and calmly serve herself a bowl of porridge.
Meanwhile, Ye Qingtong rushed home as fast as he could.
Father Ye, a carpenter, was just about to head out for work. Seeing his son return in such a hurry, he frowned slightly. “Qingtong, what’s with all the rushing?”
“Father, I’m going to marry a wife!” Ye Qingtong blurted out excitedly. “Quick, you and Mother go find a matchmaker. I’m afraid if we’re late, she might change her mind!”
At that moment, Mother Ye, who had just finished washing dishes and stepped out of the kitchen, froze in shock.
“What did you say? A matchmaker?” she asked in disbelief.
“Yes, Mother!” Ye Qingtong said eagerly. “I just passed by her house and saw her kitchen had caught fire. I went to help, and after she thanked me… she agreed to marry me!”
Comments
Post a Comment
I'd love to hear your thoughts! Feel free to comment anonymously—no Google account is required. Please keep discussions friendly and respectful🌸