Chapter 964: Calculating Scholar 19

After tossing and turning all night, Ye Qingtong hurried to Tangjia Village early the next morning after breakfast. He lingered near the entrance of Tang Wan’s house, hiding by a corner like a thief, watching for a long time. It wasn’t until he saw smoke rising from her kitchen that he finally relaxed slightly. Then he began to worry again—what excuse could he use this time to approach her? If he kept showing up in front of her every day, she might suspect his intentions weren’t pure.

While Ye Qingtong was struggling with himself, Tang Wan had already finished preparing breakfast. Through Little Cutie, she had long discovered that he was lingering under a tree not far from her courtyard, secretly watching. The corners of her lips curved slightly, and after a brief thought, an idea came to her.

She deliberately pushed a small pile of firewood against the side of the stove. The moment the flames flared up, she immediately rushed toward the door with a panicked expression and flung it open.

Little Cutie couldn’t help twitching speechlessly.

This woman is ruthless—even setting a fire without hesitation. What if she burns herself?

After opening the door, Tang Wan ran toward the neighboring Li household, shouting in alarm, “Fire! Fire!”

Hearing her shout, Ye Qingtong’s heart tightened. He immediately stepped forward. “Miss Tang, what happened?”

Seeing him, Tang Wan looked as though she had found a savior. Her eyes reddened as she said, “Big Brother Ye, you’re just in time! I… I accidentally set the kitchen on fire while cooking!”

At her words, Ye Qingtong’s expression changed instantly. Without hesitation, he rushed toward her courtyard while asking, “Don’t panic. Is there a well at your house? Is there water in the tank?”

“There’s a well, but the tank doesn’t have much water…” Tang Wan replied anxiously.

“I understand. Stay outside and don’t come near. I’ll handle it,” Ye Qingtong said immediately.

“But… will it be dangerous?” Tang Wan asked hesitantly.

“Don’t worry, I’ll be fine,” he reassured her, already moving.

He dashed into the smoke-filled kitchen, quickly found a bucket, and upon seeing the nearly empty water tank, immediately rushed back out toward the well. Moving swiftly, he began drawing water again and again.

Fortunately, there wasn’t much firewood in the kitchen. After carrying seven or eight buckets of water, the flames were completely extinguished.

Only then did Ye Qingtong finally let out a breath of relief. Turning to Tang Wan, he said gently, “It’s alright now. The fire’s out.”

Tang Wan looked at him with undisguised gratitude. “Thank you, Big Brother Ye! If you hadn’t come in time, I… I wouldn’t have known what to do.”

Hearing this, Ye Qingtong waved his hand. “It’s nothing. I was just nearby—it’s only right to help. But you need to be more careful when cooking next time. A kitchen fire is no small matter. It’s lucky this happened during the day.”

If it had broken out at night while she was asleep…

Just thinking about that possibility made his heart tighten.

Tang Wan nodded seriously. Then her expression softened, turning weak and helpless. “I understand… but I’m all alone. I’ve never dealt with something like this before, so I didn’t know what to do.”

As she spoke, her eyes filled with admiration and dependence as she looked at him.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter 1: Got Dumped on the Day of the Wedding

Chapter 2: Does It Matter If I Am Gay?

Chapter 3: I Am Your Father