Chapter 1790: Unlucky Heiress (58)

 Although they would make every effort to immerse themselves in their roles and emotions, the mind of an experienced tasker would always remain clear.

For example, in his early years, when he had just begun carrying out missions, he had been like every newcomer. Each time he immersed himself in a role, his heart would beat passionately.

Those feelings had been genuine. Even toward the people within a mission, he would experience all kinds of emotions.

Longing, hatred, love, affection, grudges.

But after countless years, one phrase could now describe him—carelessly detached.

He seemed affectionate, yet was actually indifferent. He appeared serious, but in his heart, everything was no more than floating dust. Give him a quiet place, and he could sit there like an old monk in meditation for millions of years without ever feeling bored, as though he were already dead.

Tang Guo, however, was different.

Very different.

Although he saw many familiar things in her eyes, when he looked closely, there was something else mixed in.

That remaining something seemed to be the obsession that made her so vividly alive.

For instance, when she had just mentioned Tao Yu, she had unconsciously revealed a trace of indulgence in her gaze. The smile lingering at the corners of her lips and eyes had been real—so real that it forced him to remember that there had once been a time when he had smiled like that as well.

Even when facing the Tang couple, Tang Guo's smile had never been this genuine.

"Xiao Guo."

Tang Kui was still lost in thought when the sudden call startled him awake.

When he regained his senses and saw who had arrived, his expression darkened.

This giant fly really was everywhere.

He was just about to mock him when he saw Tang Guo smiling brightly as she watched Tao Yu approach. Compared to her previous smile, this one was even more genuine.

Tao Yu was carrying several books in his arms.

Following them over, Tang Kui heard him say, "Xiao Guo, the original foreign edition of the science fiction novel you mentioned last time. This is the first edition. I found it for you."

Then Tang Kui watched as Tao Yu handed two books to Tang Guo and added, "They're a bit worn, so I wrapped them in protective covers. I originally wanted to restore them properly before bringing them to you, but I figured you'd be busy during the workweek, so I brought them over today instead. Maybe with the two days of the weekend, you'll be able to finish reading them."

"Thank you so much, Brother Tao. I only mentioned it casually, and you actually managed to find them."

"It must have been difficult, right? These first editions are nearly sixty or seventy years old. There probably aren't many left in the world."

Tao Yu smiled. "Not really. I was lucky, so it wasn't difficult. Besides, I'm interested in them too. As soon as you mentioned them, I couldn't wait to go looking."

Tang Kui remained silent.

He knew about that science fiction work.

According to records, printing technology had not been so advanced sixty or seventy years ago, nor had the publishing industry flourished as it did today.

The first edition of that novel had only been printed in two thousand copies. After six or seven decades, finding an original out-of-print copy was truly no easy feat.

One could say Tao Yu had been lucky, but there was no denying that he had put considerable effort into searching for it.

"I think these should be restored first," Tang Kui suddenly interjected. "They're actually in pretty good condition. It'd be a shame if they got damaged. Guoguo, put them upstairs for now and keep them safe. Later, I'll find someone to help restore them."

Tang Guo readily agreed and headed upstairs.

That left only Tang Kui and Tao Yu standing in the garden, staring at each other.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter 1: Got Dumped on the Day of the Wedding

Chapter 2: Does It Matter If I Am Gay?

Chapter 4: Diablo 1