Chapter 1778: Unlucky Heiress (46)
Mother Xu was somewhat bewildered. It was only during their conversation afterward that she learned Tang Guo and Tang Kui were brother and sister. The coincidence was simply unbelievable, but the two were excellent actors, and she couldn't tell that the whole thing had been staged.
As
they chatted, it wasn't long before Xu Nini, who had remained unconscious all
this time, suddenly woke up.
Mother
Xu burst into tears of joy and hurried to call the doctor. Only after the
doctor confirmed that there were no problems with Xu Nini did she finally cry
in genuine relief.
After
Tang Guo and Tang Kui left, Mother Xu sat beside the bed wiping her tears and
pointed to the bracelet on Xu Nini's wrist and the necklace around her neck.
“Nini,
don't ever take these off. Those two gave them to you to change your fortune.
You've been unconscious for over half a month, and the moment they arrived, you
woke up. Wear them properly, don't lose them, and tuck them inside your
clothes.”
“Mom,
who were they?”
Mother
Xu recounted everything that had happened.
Xu
Nini looked puzzled.
Had
she really found those siblings' wallets?
Although
she had lived for over ten years and had been unusually lucky at finding lost
things since she was little, including valuable items, she had always returned
them.
People
often joked that if she hadn't returned those things, she would have become
rich long ago.
She
didn't think so.
Things
that didn't belong to her shouldn't be kept.
What
if those belongings were important to their owners? What if they were
life-saving money?
Then
she would be harming others.
To
her, the most important thing in life was having a clear conscience. She had no
desire to burden herself with sins.
She
didn't consider herself to be doing anything extraordinary.
If
she picked up something that belonged to someone else, wasn't returning it the
natural thing to do?
As
for helping people, she simply did what was within her ability.
Could
ordinary acts of kindness really be considered great deeds nowadays?
If
so, then she truly felt sad for the times.
She
didn't want to become a cold and indifferent person.
Just
imagining herself lying helplessly on the ground one day, with people only
taking pictures and watching the spectacle while no one called an ambulance,
made her feel miserable.
Recalling
the appearance of those siblings, Xu Nini was absolutely certain she had never
found their wallets.
Their
looks were too striking.
Her
memory was exceptionally good. She could memorize a passage after reading it
twice.
There
was no way she could be mistaken.
Besides,
the owners of the wallets she had found had never been so young.
Most
of them were uncles, aunties, and elderly people.
However,
Xu Nini didn't tell Mother Xu any of this.
She
intended to ask personally after being discharged from the hospital.
“Mom,
did you keep their contact information?”
Mother
Xu nodded repeatedly.
“Yes,
yes. They even volunteered to leave it behind. They said that if we ever
encountered any problems, we could ask them for help.”
“Mom,
after I've been unconscious for so long, could we really afford the hospital
bills?”
Tears
welled up in Mother Xu's eyes again.
“Your
classmates and teachers pooled together some money, and I spent the college
tuition I'd saved for you. If you hadn't woken up soon, I would've had to sell
our little house.”
“Mom,
don't cry anymore. Once I recover, I'll tutor more students during the
vacation. I definitely plan to repeat the year. I'll work even harder and
strive for scholarships. Once I'm in college, I won't need much money. Besides,
don't good universities offer financial aid? I'll owe the school first and
repay them after I start working.”
Xu
Nini's thoughts were simple.
As
long as she was alive, everything could be solved.
She
had always known clearly what path she wanted to walk.
For
her, the best way forward was studying.
And she had always done very well.
Comments
Post a Comment
I'd love to hear your thoughts! Feel free to comment anonymously—no Google account is required. Please keep discussions friendly and respectful๐ธ