Chapter 1655: Miss Nice Girl (20)
“Tang Guo's phone is off again. I really don't know what she's doing. You can't find her all day.”
“She probably went to the library. She always turns her phone off when she's there,” Hu Xiaolan replied instinctively, unaware that this was the subtle psychological suggestion Tang Guo had planted on the very first day—a common hypnotic technique.
From then on, whenever anyone asked why Tang Guo's phone was off, Hu Xiaolan would unconsciously answer that she was at the library.
Not long afterward, Hu Xiaolan returned to the dorm with breakfast.
She brought it to Gao Lili's bed. “Here's your breakfast.”
“Thanks.”
“That'll be four yuan. Cash or WeChat transfer?”
The fact that Hu Xiaolan was willing to bring breakfast for Gao Lili was already remarkable.
Expecting her to pay for it herself, or simply let it go without asking for money, was impossible.
Gao Lili was visibly stunned for a moment. Perhaps because Hu Xiaolan wasn't Tang Guo, and because she knew Hu Xiaolan was a shrewd and calculating person, she took out her phone.
“I'll transfer it through WeChat then.”
If it had been Tang Guo, she would probably have said, “I'm starving. I'll pay you later,” and after eating, would have completely forgotten about it.
The original host had an honest personality. For such small amounts of money, she felt embarrassed to ask for repayment. Coupled with her people-pleasing nature and fear that asking directly would damage their friendship, she always let such things slide.
After transferring the money, Gao Lili felt slightly uncomfortable.
It was only four yuan, and Hu Xiaolan had rushed to get it back immediately. Wasn't that too stingy?
Of course, she would never say such things aloud.
“Lili, I have some bad news for you. You got caught during attendance today.”
Gao Lili was in the middle of biting into a steamed bun and nearly spat it out.
“Caught?”
“Yeah. I got up late and stopped to eat breakfast, so all the seats in the back were already occupied. I had no choice but to sit in the front row. Your name came before mine, so I answered for you. Then the professor called my name. I was about to say I was Gao Lili, but that old man smiled at me and even patted my head. He said, ‘I remember you aren't Gao Lili. You're Hu Xiaolan, right? You missed failing by one point last semester.’”
Originally, Gao Lili had been annoyed. But seeing Hu Xiaolan looking as though she was about to cry, and recalling the professor's words, she burst out laughing.
“Fine, I won't blame you. At worst, I just won't skip his class again this semester.”
This professor was an open-minded old man who allowed every student three absences each semester.
But if you exceeded three absences and got caught by him, then no matter how good your exam scores were, he would fail you without exception.
Before this, Gao Lili had already skipped his class twice and had been caught both times.
Hu Xiaolan sighed. “If I'd gone downstairs earlier, things would've been fine. But today I had no choice—I had to buy breakfast.”
“You ate breakfast yourself? You didn't ask Tang Guo to bring it?”
Hu Xiaolan shook her head. “She went out for a run early this morning. Said she was physically weak and needed exercise. If I'd waited for her to bring breakfast, I would've been late.”
At that, neither of them said anything more.
And had Hu Xiaolan really sat in the front row because she'd arrived too late?
Only she herself knew the answer.
Tang Guo read in the library until noon before heading to the cafeteria for lunch.
She had no intention of returning to the dorm.
By now, Gao Lili had gotten up. After all, she had lunch plans with her boyfriend and naturally dressed herself up beautifully before going out.
Seeing this, Hu Xiaolan hurriedly shouted, “Lili, bring your key! Tang Guo might not come back at noon. She'll probably stay buried in the library again.”
Comments
Post a Comment
I'd love to hear your thoughts! Feel free to comment anonymously—no Google account is required. Please keep discussions friendly and respectful🌸