Chapter 1190: The River God’s Bride 25
In theory, everything between the male and female leads should unfold smoothly. But Tang Wan knew very well that reality was rarely so simple. Without shared hardship to temper a relationship, even the strongest beginnings could falter over time. Though she was familiar with the original course of events, she could not guarantee that Feng Lun’s feelings would never change. With the conch in Yuexiang’s possession, even if she were to marry far away someday, she would still have a way to seek help should trouble arise.
Yuexiang stared at the conch in her hands, her eyes gradually reddening. In the next moment, tears welled up and spilled over as she clutched Tang Wan’s hand tightly. “Wanwan… you’re too good to me!” she choked out. She had never imagined that Tang Wan would think so far ahead for her sake.
Seeing her moved to tears, Tang Wan gently patted her hand, her tone soft but steady. “Why are you crying? Haven’t you always been good to me as well? Now that I have Tongtong to protect me, I’m at ease. But whether Feng Lun will always treat you wholeheartedly… that’s something I can’t guarantee. As long as you take care of yourself, I can feel reassured.”
Yuexiang nodded through her tears. “You have to be happy too!”
“I will,” Tang Wan replied with a faint smile. “Tongtong is still waiting for me. I should go now.”
As for Yuda’s situation, Tang Wan chose not to mention it. She trusted Yuexiang, but she had no such confidence in the Taoist priests who claimed to eliminate demons. If they learned anything through her, who knew what harm might follow?
Yuexiang watched her leave, her gaze lingering with reluctance until Tang Wan disappeared from sight.
Not long after, a faint breeze stirred within the courtyard. Bingtong, who had been hiding in the form of a small frog, slipped away silently and followed Tang Wan from a distance. When she was nearly at the agreed meeting place, he hurried ahead, returning to his human form and standing there as though he had been waiting all along.
The moment Tang Wan saw him, her eyes brightened. “Tongtong, I’m back!”
“My lady,” Bingtong replied, stepping forward and pulling her into his arms without hesitation.
As he held her, the memory of what she had said earlier to Yuexiang echoed in his mind, and his grip tightened unconsciously, as though he wished to draw her even closer. He had never imagined that he would be so fortunate—that unlike the River Gods before him, he would marry a bride who truly liked him from the very beginning.
Tang Wan leaned slightly against him before lifting her head. “Tongtong, I spoke to my friend and asked her to explain things to Governor Feng, so he won’t continue looking for you. As for Yuda… I didn’t mention it. I don’t think she could help much with that. Should we go rescue him now?”
At her words, Bingtong’s expression dimmed slightly. After a brief pause, he said quietly, “There’s no need. Yuda… has already been refined into blood by those Taoists.”
He had expected this outcome from the moment he heard what happened. Still, hearing it aloud carried a weight he could not entirely ignore. Yet what lingered more strongly in his heart was something else entirely—the confirmation that Tang Wan had not tried to escape.
She had chosen to return.
Tang Wan’s expression showed a trace of sorrow, though she quickly composed herself. “I see…” she murmured. Then, after a moment, she added, “In that case, maybe we should avoid sending anyone to the town for a while. If it comes to it, I can manage with simpler food.”
Bingtong shook his head immediately. “Don’t worry. We won’t need to go there for now. We can go to the Demon City instead—there are plenty of things there you can eat.”
“Really?” Tang Wan’s eyes lit up slightly. “That’s great.” Then, as if remembering something, she looked at him carefully. “By the way, Tongtong… I gave the conch you gave me to my friend. You’re not angry, are you? She has no one to rely on, but I have you. I just… couldn’t stop worrying about her.”
As she spoke, she looked at him with a hint of expectation.
Bingtong’s ears flushed faintly, the color spreading slowly to his cheeks. After a moment, he coughed lightly and shook his head. “It’s nothing. It’s just a conch.”
Comments
Post a Comment
I'd love to hear your thoughts! Feel free to comment anonymously—no Google account is required. Please keep discussions friendly and respectful🌸