Chapter 1188: The River God’s Bride 23
Of course, Tang Wan had no intention of running away. Even so, she deliberately put on a cautious act, glancing left and right as she walked, as though afraid of being discovered. From a distance, Bingtong watched her every move, his small frog form hidden among the shadows, his eyes filled with confusion. If she truly planned to escape, why would she behave so hesitantly instead of leaving immediately?
After wandering through the village for a while, Tang Wan finally stopped in front of Yuexiang’s house. She cast another careful look around to ensure no one from the Tang family was nearby, then stepped forward and knocked gently on the door.
Inside, Yuexiang was sitting absentmindedly, her chin propped on her hand, a faint smile lingering on her lips. Her expression was that of a young girl lost in her thoughts, her cheeks flushed with an unmistakable hint of shyness. She did not hear the knocking at first, and it was only after several persistent taps that she suddenly snapped out of her reverie and hurried toward the door.
As she walked, her thoughts turned sweet and flustered. Could it be Feng Lun? The possibility made her heart race. She instinctively reached up to smooth her hair, then lightly patted her warm cheeks before opening the door.
However, the moment it swung open, the person standing outside was not who she had imagined.
Instead, it was a woman she had never seen before.
“Hello… who are you?” Yuexiang asked, her brows knitting slightly in confusion.
Tang Wan quickly lowered her voice and said, “Yuexiang, it’s me—Wanwan. Let me in first.”
Yuexiang froze for a brief moment, then quickly stepped aside, pulling her inside and shutting the door behind them.
Only after the door was closed did she turn back, her eyes widening in disbelief as she stared at Tang Wan. “You… you’re really Wanwan? Why do you look like this?”
Tang Wan smiled faintly and explained, “I asked my husband to change my appearance so that no one would recognize me and cause trouble.”
At her words, Yuexiang’s eyes widened even further. “You… Wanwan, you really met He Bo?”
“Yes,” Tang Wan replied with a nod, her tone calm. “Tongtong treats me very well. I’m doing fine.”
Then she added, “I came back for two reasons. First, to let you know that I’m safe, so you don’t have to worry about me. And second… I heard that you asked Governor Feng Lun to help rescue me. Is that true?”
At the mention of Feng Lun, Yuexiang’s expression softened immediately, a faint blush coloring her cheeks as she nodded. “Yes… I told him you were my close friend, and he agreed right away.”
Tang Wan observed her reaction and could not help but smile teasingly. “Oh? Judging by that expression… is there something going on between the two of you?”
“N-no!” Yuexiang denied quickly, though her flushed face betrayed her. “Lord Feng Lun is someone of high status. I’m just an orphan… how could I possibly be worthy of him?”
Hearing this, Tang Wan shook her head firmly. “That’s not true at all. A kind and pure-hearted girl like you would be worthy even of an emperor. If you’ve met someone you like, you have to hold onto that chance. Do you understand?”
Yuexiang hesitated, her confidence wavering. “But… am I really good enough?”
“Of course you are,” Tang Wan said decisively. “I’ve heard that Governor Feng Lun also came from humble beginnings. Think about it—he rose from nothing to where he is now. He’s seen all kinds of people. If he likes you, it means he recognizes your worth. Otherwise, with his current position, he could easily marry into a noble family. Why would he spend time on you if he didn’t truly care?”
Her words were steady and reassuring, carrying a quiet conviction.
In truth, Tang Wan knew that Yuexiang’s lack of confidence would only hinder her in the future. This time, she had no intention of letting unnecessary misunderstandings arise. If Yuexiang could believe in herself, then her path ahead with Feng Lun would be far smoother.
Comments
Post a Comment
I'd love to hear your thoughts! Feel free to comment anonymously—no Google account is required. Please keep discussions friendly and respectful🌸