Chapter 1177: The River God’s Bride 12
Seeing that Bingtong was about to rush out in a flurry to find food for her, Tang Wan quickly reached out to stop him. Her voice carried a hint of urgency as she said, “Wait, Tongtong! I’ll go with you. If you leave me here alone, I’ll be scared.”
At her words, Bingtong immediately halted, his movements freezing mid-step. A trace of hesitation flickered across his expression before he replied, “Then… how about I send my subordinates instead? They can go to the shore and bring food back for you.”
In truth, there was a small but persistent worry lingering in his heart. If she returned to land, what if she took the opportunity to escape? Although the bond between them meant he could always find her again, the mere thought of her leaving willingly made him uneasy.
Tang Wan considered this for a moment before nodding. “That works too,” she said softly. “But make sure they don’t scare the people. Tell them to be careful not to reveal themselves.”
“Don’t worry,” Bingtong replied at once, clearly relieved by her agreement. Without delay, he issued instructions to his subordinates, ordering them to go ashore and procure suitable food for her.
Once everything was arranged, he returned to the room and looked at Tang Wan, his gaze carrying a hint of uncertainty. “Wanwan… do you feel uncomfortable?” he asked cautiously.
The question caught her off guard for a moment. Uncomfortable? Did he mean physically? After a brief pause, she shook her head. “No, I’m fine. Don’t worry.”
“Oh…” Bingtong responded, though his tone carried a trace of disappointment.
Inwardly, he could not help but recall what he had heard before. Human women, when pregnant, were said to experience nausea and discomfort. Yet Tang Wan showed none of those signs. Did that mean she had not conceived yet? The thought lingered in his mind, and he silently resolved that he would have to try harder in the coming nights. After all, he was currently in his prime—if he missed this period, it might become more difficult later.
Noticing the faint dejection on his face, Tang Wan spoke again, her tone gentle. “Tongtong, what’s wrong? Is there something you want to tell me?”
Bingtong hesitated briefly before voicing his confusion outright. “It’s about… having baby fish,” he said, his expression earnest yet puzzled. “I tried very hard yesterday. Why didn’t you get pregnant?”
Tang Wan’s expression froze for a split second.
She had completely overlooked this.
He was a demon, and she was human—if she truly became pregnant, what kind of child would that produce? A creature with a fish head and human body? Or something else entirely? The mere thought made her feel a chill run down her spine.
Suppressing her reaction, she quickly steadied herself and looked at him, choosing her words carefully. “Tongtong… do you really want children that much?”
“Of course,” Bingtong nodded seriously, his face flushing slightly as he continued, “I’m in my prime right now. It’s the best time to have offspring.”
Tang Wan felt a brief wave of helplessness but did not voice her thoughts directly. From what she had observed over the past two days, Bingtong was sensitive in ways he did not fully understand himself, and a blunt rejection might hurt him unnecessarily. Instead, she took a more indirect approach.
“But I’m human,” she said softly, her brows knitting slightly as though troubled. “What if the child we have is only half-demon? Or… what if we can’t have children at all? If that happens… will you still like me? If you don’t, I would feel very sad.”
The moment she finished speaking, Bingtong’s expression changed. A deeper shade of red spread across his ears as he hurriedly shook his head. “No, no! Even if it’s a half-demon, that’s fine! I’m the River God—I won’t let anyone bully them!” he said quickly. “And if… if we really can’t have children… then that’s fine too. I won’t blame you.”
As he spoke, a quiet sense of contentment filled his heart. To him, Tang Wan’s concern only meant that she cared deeply about their future together, and that thought alone was enough to make him feel happy.
In the end, whether or not they had children did not seem so important anymore. As long as she remained by his side, that was already more than he had ever hoped for.
Comments
Post a Comment
I'd love to hear your thoughts! Feel free to comment anonymously—no Google account is required. Please keep discussions friendly and respectful🌸