Chapter 1004: Doomsday Big Boss 8

After finishing her work in the vegetable field, Tang Wan didn’t return immediately. Instead, she sat on a broken chair nearby, leaning back as she looked up at the sky. A pigeon flew past overhead—no, not just any pigeon, but one nearly the size of a hen from before the apocalypse, plump and heavy. Even though she had eaten steak earlier, meat was still a rarity. Most days, they lived on vegetables, with only the occasional canned food as a luxury. So at the sight of the fat pigeon, her eyes lit up instinctively.

Without hesitation, she activated her plant ability, stimulating several vine seeds. In an instant, they sprouted and shot upward, their tendrils whipping through the air as they chased the pigeon and quickly wrapped around its claws. But the next moment, the pigeon dipped its head and pecked sharply. With a crisp snap, the vines broke cleanly, as if sliced by a blade. Tang Wan reacted at once, generating more seeds as the vines surged upward again, trying to entangle it once more. Just as she was about to succeed, however, a streak of black energy suddenly tore through the sky. Accompanied by a sharp, terrified cry, the pigeon’s head was severed midair, and its body dropped instantly.

Tang Wan pulled it down with her vines, but instead of paying attention to the catch, she turned her gaze toward Hu Tongxia, her expression cooling. “Why did you cut off its head?” she asked flatly. “Now it has to be eaten tonight.”

Hu Tongxia frowned slightly at her tone. “I thought you couldn’t catch it, so I helped you. Don’t act ungrateful.” Tang Wan rolled her eyes without hesitation. “Even without your help, I could’ve caught it alive.” He let out a short, dismissive laugh. “A mutated bird’s beak is as sharp as a knife. Your vines wouldn’t have lasted more than a few pecks. If I hadn’t stepped in, it would’ve flown off already.”

At that, Tang Wan looked at him with a faint, unreadable smile. “So I should thank you?” For a brief moment, Hu Tongxia hesitated, something about her expression making him feel uneasy. But then he stiffened, lifting his chin slightly. What was there to hesitate about? He wasn’t wrong. “Of course,” he said bluntly. “If it weren’t for me, you wouldn’t have caught it.”

“Did I ask for your help?” Tang Wan narrowed her eyes, her gaze sharp and direct. Under that look, Hu Tongxia suddenly felt his ears heat up. There was something strangely unsettling about the way she was staring at him, something he couldn’t quite put into words. “You—if you’re angry, then just say it!” he snapped, flustered. “Don’t look at me like that. I’m telling you, I won’t fall for your fake act!” Yet even as he spoke, his heartbeat sped up uncontrollably.

Tang Wan stared at him in disbelief for a second before pointing at herself, her expression utterly incredulous. “Are you out of your mind?” she said flatly. “Me? Seducing you?” She almost laughed. Which part of what she had just done looked anything like seduction? She had clearly been glaring at him the entire time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter 1: Got Dumped on the Day of the Wedding

Chapter 2: Does It Matter If I Am Gay?

Chapter 4: Diablo 1