Chapter 998: Beautiful Girl (43)

“From now on, I'll face everything with you. No matter how many hardships there are in the future, I'll be with you. Even if countless people misunderstand you, I will believe you. I'm willing to spend the rest of my life helping you prove your innocence.”

Tang Guo smiled in response. “Senior, you're really a good person.”

“No, I'm not.” Chang Zhan shook his head. “I shut my ears to everything happening around me. I failed to stop Zuo Ran and Wei Liang from hurting you. I never imagined things would end up like this. If I had stopped them sooner, you wouldn't have suffered so much.”

“As an onlooker, I'm guilty too. Guilty of indifference, guilty of carelessness, guilty of failing to wake my friends up before they committed such unforgivable mistakes.” Chang Zhan said bitterly, “You can't look coldly at things just because they don't concern you. If I'd been more willing to care, things wouldn't have turned out this way.”

“Tang Guo, come down, okay?”

Tang Guo looked at him with a smile.

“Senior, I don't want to come down. I still have something very important to do.”

Her voice was light, carried by the wind into Chang Zhan's ears.

“In the past, all I wanted was to prove that I was innocent, that I had never done those things. But now…” Her eyes curved into a smile. “What I want is no longer just that.”

Chang Zhan sensed something wrong.

Then he heard her continue.

“If you do something wrong, you should be punished. A single rumor spoken by a mouth can destroy a living life.”

“Spreading rumors has always been a crime.”

She stood up.

Chang Zhan's heartbeat nearly stopped. Thinking she was about to do something, all color drained from his face.

He didn't dare rush toward her, afraid of provoking her.

Tang Guo looked down at the crowd gathering below.

Her classmates.

Her schoolmates.

Teachers from the school.

Parents who had come from outside to watch the spectacle.

Reporters.

Passersby.

And serious-looking rescue personnel discussing how best to save her.

Countless people were discussing why she had chosen such a method.

Some were even saying impatiently, “Is she jumping or not? This is such a waste of time.”

Once one person spoke, another followed.

Those words were infuriating.

Yet Tang Guo wasn't angry in the slightest.

She picked up the bag beside her. Under Chang Zhan's astonished gaze, she pulled out a loudspeaker.

Switching it on, her voice immediately echoed throughout every corner of the school.

“All right, enough talking. Listen to me.”

The stern voice amplified by the loudspeaker instantly silenced the crowd.

Countless spectators stared at the girl standing on the rooftop with a loudspeaker in her hand, stunned.

Many couldn't understand.

Had jumping off buildings become so sophisticated now?

Did people bring loudspeakers to communicate with everyone?

“First of all, I'd like to apologize to the uncles who came to save me. I've really caused you trouble.”

Tang Guo's face was full of sincerity.

The rescue team members exchanged glances before one of them shouted through a loudspeaker.

“Little girl, if there's anything wrong, let's come down and talk it out, okay?”

They had handled countless situations like this.

Not every young life could be saved.

Listening to the comments around them, they were actually filled with anger.

But they were here to save people.

Every second was precious.

They had no time to argue with those people whose mouths showed no restraint.

Life came first.

Every time they managed to save someone, their hearts found a measure of comfort.

Those terrible words, however, could easily interfere with rescue efforts.

Lives that might have been saved could be lost because such comments robbed them of precious opportunities to help.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter 1: Got Dumped on the Day of the Wedding

Chapter 2: Does It Matter If I Am Gay?

Chapter 3: I Am Your Father