Chapter 926: The Young Empress (63)

Su Qing stood somewhat forlornly by the window. Hearing those words, he froze for a moment.

Slowly turning around, his eyes held nothing but loneliness and a trace of self-mockery.

"They've all left?"

"Yes, they've all gone."

"Not a single one stayed behind?"

The palace servant lowered his head even further. "No."

"Were they happy when they left?"

The servant paused before answering, "The attendants received rewards from Her Majesty. There were faint smiles on their faces, and they all seemed eager to leave the palace."

"So they were happy?"

"I believe so."

The servant could not understand why Su Qing was asking these questions. He had served Young Master Su for many years.

Su Qing was exceptionally intelligent. Ever since entering the palace, he had enjoyed a portion of Her Majesty's favor.

On the surface, he appeared deeply devoted to the Empress, but privately, what the servant saw more often was his calm and detached demeanor.

When Her Majesty was present, he would reveal traces of affection. But the moment she turned away, clarity would return to his eyes.

Sometimes, even the servant could not tell whether Su Qing truly loved the Empress or not.

"They used to scramble for opportunities to win Her Majesty's favor. Yet now that they can leave the palace with houses and shops, with Her Majesty ensuring they would never worry about food or clothing for the rest of their lives, not a single one is willing to stay. They all want to go out and enjoy free and carefree lives."

"It only proves that none of them were sincere toward Her Majesty. Since they've left, so be it."

"Young Master Su, aren't you leaving?"

Su Qing was momentarily stunned.

"I don't want to leave."

Where could he go after leaving the palace?

If he left, how often would he ever be able to see her again?

Perhaps for the rest of his life, he would never see her at all.

Though only a palace wall separated them, in reality, they would stand worlds apart.

Just then, the Grand Chief Eunuch arrived.

"Young Master Su."

Su Qing withdrew the emotions from his face and glanced at her.

"What is it?"

"By Her Majesty's decree, all attendants of the harem are to leave the palace within one month."

The Grand Chief Eunuch secretly looked at the noticeably thinner man before her and sighed.

"Young Master Su, all the other attendants have already departed. Only you remain."

"Did Her Majesty say that I must leave?" Su Qing asked.

"Yes. Everyone must leave."

For a moment, Su Qing said nothing.

Confusion appeared in his eyes as a bitter smile spread across his lips.

"Once I leave the palace… where can I go?"

"Her Majesty has already purchased residences within the imperial capital for all the attendants. From now on, Young Master Su will be a free man. You may go wherever you wish and live however you choose."

The Grand Chief Eunuch's feelings were complicated. In truth, she had no idea what Her Majesty was thinking.

Some of the things Su Qing had done had genuinely offended her. Yet she had spared him, even granting him a residence and shops, ensuring his future livelihood.

Was Her Majesty being too merciful?

System: Pure wishful thinking. I've never seen the host show mercy. This is simply another form of revenge. She drives him out of the palace, yet makes sure he remembers her for the rest of his life, leaving him unable to find peace.

"Young Master Su, you should start packing and leave the palace."

The Grand Chief Eunuch added, "You know Her Majesty's temperament well. Once she makes a decision, it cannot be changed. The decree has already been issued—there's no taking it back."

"I understand."

Su Qing's voice was calm and distant.

"I wish to remain for a few more days. After that, I will personally bid farewell to Her Majesty before leaving."

"Very well."

The Grand Chief Eunuch finally relaxed.

"Then this servant shall take her leave."

"Take care, Grand Chief Eunuch. When I depart, I will certainly go and say goodbye to Her Majesty."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter 1: Got Dumped on the Day of the Wedding

Chapter 2: Does It Matter If I Am Gay?

Chapter 3: I Am Your Father