Chapter 766: Scandal Queen vs. The White Lotus Actor 37
Hearing Bai Pingting's words, Wan Jie felt relieved as well.
His efforts over the past two years to maintain the image of a perfect boyfriend in front of Bai Pingting had not been in vain. He had also frequently instilled in her the idea that many of the news stories in the entertainment industry were fake.
See? Even though Tang Wan had hired people to expose so much dirt about him, Bai Pingting's first reaction was still to believe him and assume that someone was deliberately trying to smear him.
Very soon, Wan Jie made his voice even gentler. “You saw it all? Those news reports are fake. Don't let them affect you. The photos posted online were taken when I'd just entered the industry, when I went to a nightclub with other members of the production crew to sing karaoke. Someone took those photos at the time. Someone who doesn't want me to be with you is deliberately trying to smear me.”
Hearing this, Bai Pingting's heart stirred. She immediately said, “Was it Tang Wan?”
That old woman had always been coveting her A-Jie. Now that A-Jie had publicly announced their engagement, she must have become jealous and deliberately done this?
Seeing how easily Bai Pingting had fallen for it, Wan Jie almost laughed out loud.
Then he immediately adopted a somewhat weary and helpless tone. “I'm not sure either. But being able to buy this many articles to smear me probably has something to do with her. I'm dealing with it on my end right now.”
After saying that, he quickly added, “Tingting, I still have to deal with the clarification, so I'll talk to you later, okay?”
He then gave his manager a meaningful look.
His manager immediately understood and shouted anxiously, “A-Jie, this is bad! The other side has hired even more paid commenters!”
……
Bai Pingting naturally heard the manager's voice.
For a moment, she couldn't help tightening her grip on the phone. “A-Jie, what's going on? Did something happen?”
“It's nothing. The company's paid commenters can't beat the ones the other side hired. Tingting, I'm really busy here, so I'll hang up for now!” Wan Jie said again, sounding overwhelmed.
As soon as she heard this, Bai Pingting immediately said, “A-Jie, wait! I'll go ask Dad for help!”
They actually dared to smear her fiancé? Did they think the Bai family was powerless?
Hearing Bai Pingting's words, Wan Jie hurriedly said, “Don't! Absolutely don't! Tingting, I want to rely on my own abilities to give you a happy future. I don't want your parents to think that I'm with you just for the Bai family's influence. Believe me, I'll get through this.”
Hearing this, Bai Pingting felt terribly distressed.
“A-Jie, you're just too stubborn! We're already engaged. No matter what happens, shouldn't we face it together?” Bai Pingting said.
Wan Jie immediately spoke in a deeply moved tone. “Tingting… But if you do that, will your parents think I'm too incapable and not worthy of being with you?”
“They won't! No matter what Mom and Dad say, I've already decided on you! Go take care of your work first. I'll go talk to Dad!” Bai Pingting said.
“All right, then.” Wan Jie replied reluctantly.
……
After Bai Pingting hung up, Wan Jie immediately exchanged a triumphant smile with his manager. “All right. Let's get back to work.”
His manager felt relieved as well.
He couldn't help sighing inwardly: Wan Jie really knew how to manipulate women's minds.
With Tang Wan, he'd used retreating to advance and managed to obtain countless resources from her, successfully climbing into the ranks of first-tier celebrities.
Now Bai Pingting also trusted him completely and was utterly devoted to him.
But even if he knew all this, what could he do?
As long as Wan Jie could remain popular and he could keep making money, that was enough.
What kind of person Wan Jie was didn't matter to him!
Comments
Post a Comment
I'd love to hear your thoughts! Feel free to comment anonymously—no Google account is required. Please keep discussions friendly and respectful🌸