Chapter 709: The Dark Sentinel 20

Tang Wan had never expected that such simple words could stir such a strong reaction within her.

Just “I like it,” and yet it sent a faint tremor through her, as if something deep inside had been lightly brushed. For a moment, she could only press down the restless feeling rising in her chest, forcing herself to calm.

After all, they had only just met.

She didn’t want him to misunderstand her, to think she was too eager, too unreserved.

Meanwhile, Lu Tong’s brows slowly drew together.

The scent around him was fading.

Just moments ago, it had been clear and lingering, wrapping around him with a subtle pull, but now it was gradually weakening. The change was small, but to him, it was impossible to miss.

Lowering his gaze, he saw her shrinking slightly to the side, her expression faintly restrained, as though she were deliberately holding something back.

A thought surfaced.

She… didn’t want him?

The realization made his arms tighten almost imperceptibly.

Why?

There had been no rejection in her behavior before. They had already completed registration, their bond established in every sense that mattered. Then why would she hold back now?

Tang Wan quickly noticed the shift.

The air seemed to cool, the subtle warmth from before replaced by something quieter, heavier. She lifted her head and looked at him, concern flickering in her eyes. “Tongtong, what’s wrong? Are you upset?”

Lu Tong pressed his lips together slightly before speaking.

“Do you not want to be close to me?”

The question came out directly, without any attempt to soften it.

Tang Wan blinked, caught off guard by how abruptly he reached that conclusion. But seeing the seriousness in his eyes, she knew she couldn’t afford to answer carelessly.

She had no intention of letting something simple turn into a misunderstanding.

“Of course not,” she said quickly. “Why would you think that?”

“Then why are you holding back?” Lu Tong asked, his tone calm but carrying a faint edge.

Tang Wan paused for a moment before letting out a soft, helpless breath.

“It’s not that I don’t want to be close to you,” she said, her voice quieter now, tinged with a hint of embarrassment. “I just thought… since we’ve only just met today… if I didn’t hold back at all, you might think I’m too… reckless.”

The last word came out softer, her cheeks warming slightly as she spoke.

Lu Tong was silent.

The tension in his gaze shifted, replaced by a brief flicker of understanding.

So that was it.

Tang Wan hesitated for a heartbeat before adding, her voice almost a whisper, “Actually… I don’t mind. If you think it’s fine… then I’m okay with it too.”

As soon as the words left her lips, she turned her face away, pressing it lightly into the pillow, as though hiding from her own admission.

For a moment, Lu Tong didn’t move.

Then, slowly, something in his expression softened.

He reached out, his hand gently lifting her face, forcing her to look at him again. His voice, though still low, carried a steadiness that left no room for doubt.

“Then stay.”

There was no urgency in his tone, no force.

Just a quiet certainty.

The room fell into silence, the earlier tension melting into something softer, more grounded, as the faint warmth between them lingered, unspoken yet undeniable.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter 1: Got Dumped on the Day of the Wedding

Chapter 2: Does It Matter If I Am Gay?

Chapter 3: I Am Your Father