Chapter 682: Female Sovereign’s Consort Selection 39

Tang Wan nodded as she approached, her gaze sweeping briefly over the children before settling on Lan Xintong. At the sight of her, the young girls immediately stepped forward and bowed in unison. She acknowledged them with a slight incline of her head before instructing the attending female officer to lead them away. Only after the courtyard had quieted did she move closer.

Without hesitation, she wrapped her arms around Lan Xintong, pulling him into a familiar embrace.

“Tongtong,” she said softly, her tone calm but edged with something heavier beneath, “King Qin has rebelled. She claims I seized the princes’ children and is using that as her justification.”

Lan Xintong stiffened for a brief moment, shock flashing across his face before it was quickly replaced by cold disdain. Those children had all been sent willingly to the palace, and Tang Can’s daughter had never even been touched. For her to twist the truth so shamelessly—there was only one real reason behind it.

She wanted the throne.

A faint chill passed through his eyes as anger quietly took root. Reaching out, he gently placed a hand on Tang Wan’s back and said in a low, steady voice, “Wanwan, don’t worry. She won’t succeed. You are the rightful ruler. No matter what excuse she uses, it won’t change that.”

Tang Wan smiled faintly at his reassurance, her expression softening. “But what if I weren’t?” she asked lightly, tilting her head as she looked at him. “If I were no longer the empress, would Tongtong still be willing to follow me and wander the world together?”

There was no hesitation in his answer. “Of course,” Lan Xintong replied, his voice firm and unwavering. “Wherever you go, I will follow.”

Her smile deepened slightly at his response. “That’s enough for me,” she said, though a trace of regret soon appeared in her eyes. “But now that Tang Can has rebelled, things will only become more complicated. I’m afraid I won’t have as much time to stay with you.”

Lan Xintong couldn’t help but chuckle softly, his fingers tightening slightly around hers. “It doesn’t matter. No matter what you are doing, I will stay by your side.”

Yet inwardly, his thoughts were far from calm. In this entire world, only she had ever placed him above everything else—even above the throne itself. And Tang Can dared to try and take her away? The thought alone stirred a cold determination within him. He would never allow it.

However, the situation soon took a sharp turn for the worse.

A week later, urgent news arrived—the two generals who had volunteered to suppress the rebellion had both died in battle.

The court erupted instantly. Shock spread through the civil and military officials, followed closely by unease. Even General Lan’s expression darkened as she stepped forward, clearly intending to request command herself. But before she could speak, Tang Wan raised her hand and interrupted calmly.

“I understand your intention, General Lan,” she said, “but I have more important matters that require your attention. The rebellion will be handled by others.”

Though surprised, General Lan did not question her and immediately accepted the order. Several capable generals were quickly reassigned and sent out with troops. However, despite their numerical advantage, the results remained the same. One defeat followed another, and within a single month, three cities had already fallen.

Only then did the court truly realize the severity of the situation. They were not facing an ordinary rebel, but Tang Can—the former War God of the Tang Dynasty. She understood their strategies, their generals, and their weaknesses better than anyone. Every move they made seemed to fall directly into her hands.

Panic began to spread.

If this continued, would they really have to watch her march all the way to the capital?

Inside Fengxiang Palace, Lan Xintong listened to the reports in silence, his brows slowly knitting together. After a long moment, he finally stepped forward.

“Wanwan,” he said quietly, but firmly, “let me go.”

Tang Wan looked up at him immediately, her expression tightening. “No,” she refused without hesitation. “I won’t let you take that risk.”

Lan Xintong’s hands clenched slightly at his sides, but he did not retreat. Instead, he stepped closer, his voice soft yet resolute. “Wanwan, believe me. I’ve trained in martial arts under my mother since childhood. I can protect myself.”

Tang Wan fell silent, studying him carefully. There was no fear in his eyes—only determination. After a long pause, she finally let out a quiet sigh.

“…Alright,” she said at last. “But if you go, I will go with you.”

Lan Xintong’s eyes widened slightly.

“I will lead the campaign myself as emperor,” she continued calmly. “Otherwise, how will you command the army? No matter your position, in their eyes, you are still a man.”

Understanding quickly replaced his surprise. He nodded without hesitation.

“Alright.”

But deep within his heart, one thought stood firm above all else—

No matter what happened, he would protect her.

Even if it cost him everything.

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter 1: Got Dumped on the Day of the Wedding

Chapter 2: Does It Matter If I Am Gay?

Chapter 3: I Am Your Father