Chapter 679: Female Sovereign’s Consort Selection 36

 Tang Wan had no intention of explaining anything to the imperial physicians. She merely gave a faint nod, dismissing them with a calm, indifferent, “You may leave,” before turning and walking out of the inner hall as though nothing of consequence had occurred.

The moment she appeared, both General Lan and Lan Xintong looked toward her at once.

“Your Majesty, what did the physicians say?” General Lan asked, unable to hide the urgency in her voice.

Tang Wan paused slightly, then immediately slipped into her role. A faint, strained smile appeared on her face, her expression tinged with just the right amount of heaviness.

“They said…” she began, her voice lowering, “that I… am infertile.”

The words fell like a stone into still water.

General Lan’s eyes widened in shock, her entire body going rigid. For a moment, she could hardly process what she had just heard. Had she truly spoken such ill fortune into existence? How could things turn out like this?

Lan Xintong’s expression also changed instantly, his face paling as unease spread through him.

At that moment, Tang Wan suddenly lifted her gaze and looked at him, her eyes carrying a faint trace of vulnerability. “Tongtong… you won’t despise me, will you?”

The question struck straight at his heart.

Without hesitation, Lan Xintong shook his head firmly. “What is Your Majesty saying?” he replied, his tone earnest and unwavering. “No matter what happens, I would never feel disgust. Even if… even if you cannot bear children, you are the only one in my heart.”

Only then did Tang Wan seem to relax, letting out a soft breath. “That’s good…”

General Lan, however, stood there in a daze, her mind in turmoil.

How could this be?

If the empress could not bear children, then how would the royal lineage continue?

And yet, a fleeting thought surfaced—fortunately, this had only come to light now. If such news had been exposed before Tang Wan secured her position, the stability of the throne might have been shaken.

Seeing General Lan’s stunned expression, Tang Wan spoke again, her tone steady despite the situation.

“Mother-in-law, there’s no need to panic. Since things have already reached the worst outcome… then we simply need to plan ahead.”

General Lan snapped back to attention. “What does Your Majesty mean?”

“Several of my imperial sisters should already have children,” Tang Wan said calmly. “Whether born of the main consort or otherwise, it makes no difference. I ask that General Lan personally lead people to bring suitable candidates back to the palace.”

She paused briefly before adding, “Of course, if any of them are unwilling to entrust their children to me, then let it be. I will not force them.”

General Lan immediately straightened. “This minister understands. I will carry out Your Majesty’s orders.”

Tang Wan nodded slightly, then added in a measured tone, “However, exclude the children of the Seventh Imperial Sister. And before bringing anyone back, ensure their bloodline is verified—there must be no doubt about their royal lineage.”

“Weichen understands. Please rest assured.”

“Good.” Tang Wan leaned back slightly, her expression showing a trace of fatigue. “I am somewhat tired. If there is nothing else, General Lan may take her leave.”

Seeing her like this, General Lan did not linger. She bowed and withdrew, though her heart remained heavy.

Such a capable ruler… and yet fate plays such cruel tricks, she thought as she left. To be blessed with everything, and yet unable to bear children…

Once General Lan had gone, the atmosphere in the hall quieted.

Lan Xintong stepped closer, his brows faintly drawn together. “My wife… is there truly no way to treat this?” he asked softly, concern evident in his voice.

Tang Wan lowered her gaze slightly, putting on a trace of subdued resignation as she shook her head. “There is no remedy,” she said quietly. “But it doesn’t matter… in this life, having you is enough for me.”

Lan Xintong’s heart tightened.

Without hesitation, he stepped forward and wrapped his arms around her, holding her close. “Don’t think too much, my wife,” he murmured. “No matter what happens, Xintong will always be by your side.”

Tang Wan rested lightly against him, a faint smile curving her lips where he could not see.

“With those words… I am at ease.”

In truth, she had no intention of telling him the truth. If he ever learned that her so-called “infertility” was fabricated, he would likely blame himself for it.

That—

Was unnecessary.

The very next day, General Lan set out.

Carrying the imperial decree, she dispatched trusted subordinates to the various fiefs of the imperial daughters, while she herself personally headed toward the territory of the Second Princess.

As for the ministers in the capital

They knew nothing of this arrangement.

 


Translator's Note:

I am honestly disappointed 😞 

I thought I'd see Tongtong become mommy in this arc (I mean, considering how many times Wanwan has borne children for Tongtong, but, I guess its not about that. 

Sigh...

Its just still a let down for me, especially because I thought it will be Xiao Yuan who gave birth to Anning's kids when in a matriachal world...


How about you guys? Did you hope for mommy Tongtong era?👀

—Cy


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter 1: Got Dumped on the Day of the Wedding

Chapter 2: Does It Matter If I Am Gay?

Chapter 4: Diablo 1