Chapter 666: Female Sovereign’s Consort Selection 23

Hearing her question, Lan Xintong shook his head slightly, his tone modest as always.

“My wife overpraises me,” he said quietly. “These are merely the skills a man is expected to learn. I am… not particularly gifted. I can only manage these things. As for needlework—” he paused, a faint trace of helplessness appearing on his face, “I truly cannot learn it.”

He lowered his gaze slightly, as if recalling something.

“When I was younger, I refused to believe it,” he continued. “I practiced holding a needle for three months straight. In the end, I could at least hold it properly… but when it came to actual embroidery, I still ended up pricking my fingers over and over.”

His lips curved faintly, a self-deprecating smile.

“So eventually, I gave up.”

Tang Wan listened, then smiled without hesitation.

“If you can’t do it, then you can’t,” she said lightly. “There are plenty of embroiderers in the palace—leave those things to them.”

Her gaze softened as she looked at him.

“Tongtong, all you need to do is stay by my side.”

Lan Xintong’s expression changed instantly.

Emotion surged quietly in his chest, and before he could stop himself, the words slipped out.

“My wife… you treat me so well. I truly don’t know how to repay you.”

Tang Wan blinked, then laughed softly, a hint of mischief flashing through her eyes.

“If that’s the case,” she said, her tone turning playful, “then repay me properly.”

She gave him a meaningful look.

Lan Xintong’s ears flushed red almost immediately, his heartbeat quickening at the implication.

For a moment, he hesitated.

Then, as if gathering his courage, he nodded.

“…Xintong will.”

The answer was soft, but firm.

Tang Wan’s eyes lit up at once.

“Really?” she asked, her voice bright with anticipation.

Lan Xintong met her gaze, his expression steady despite the warmth spreading across his face.

“Of course,” he said quietly. “You are my wife. It is only right that I serve you.”

Even if that were not the case…

Even without that bond—

He would still be willing.

Because of how she treated him.

At his answer, Tang Wan’s excitement became almost impossible to hide. She rubbed her hands together lightly, her eyes gleaming.

“I suddenly feel like going back to the residence right now,” she muttered, half to herself.

Over the past two days, she had held back, unsure of the limits of men’s endurance in this world. But now…

It had already been two days.

By her estimation, Tongtong should be completely fine.

Her thoughts wandered in a distinctly dangerous direction.

Lan Xintong, watching her expression, felt his heart skip.

After a brief glance toward the doorway, he hesitated—then, with a sudden burst of courage, spoke in a low voice.

“If my wife… truly cannot wait,” he said carefully, “then… it is fine here.”

After all, this was his former chamber.

His mother had deliberately given them time alone. No one would come to disturb them before midday.

Still…

As soon as the words left his mouth, a flicker of anxiety crossed his mind.

Would she think him too forward?

Too improper?

He couldn’t help but look at her nervously, searching her expression.

Tang Wan, meanwhile, took a moment to process what he had just said.

Then—

Her eyes widened slightly.

So bold?

Her Tongtong… was unexpectedly bold.

And yet—

Why did she like that so much?

Her gaze flicked toward the door instinctively, mirroring his earlier caution, before returning to him.

“You mean that?” she asked, lowering her voice slightly.

Seeing her reaction, Lan Xintong felt the tension in his chest ease.

She didn’t think badly of him.

On the contrary…

He could almost see the spark of interest in her eyes.

“They won’t come in,” he said softly, reassuring her. “You can rest assured.”

Tang Wan coughed lightly, as if trying to compose herself.

Then, putting on a deliberately serious expression, she stepped closer.

“Since Tongtong has said so…” she began, her tone calm but her eyes betraying her excitement, “then I won’t stand on ceremony.”

Without waiting further, she reached out, caught his arm, and pulled him along toward the inner chamber with surprising urgency.

As she moved, a single thought flashed through her mind—

If only she were strong enough to carry him outright.

That… would have been perfect.

 

 

 

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter 1: Got Dumped on the Day of the Wedding

Chapter 2: Does It Matter If I Am Gay?

Chapter 4: Diablo 1