Chapter 1524: Her Highness the Princess (74)
“I truly never imagined that even after I did everything the Second Princess asked of me, she would still grow tired of me. Fearing for my wife and children’s lives, I never dared to secretly return to see them. For over ten years, I thought of them every single day. I believed they must still be living well, but who could have known… who could have known that the Second Princess would go back on her word?”
Lü
Qing continued weeping bitterly. If his wife and children had not been standing
there alive and well, each of them radiant and flourishing, everyone might
truly have been moved by his supposed devotion.
But
now, everyone only had one thought.
Who
was he trying to fool?
Tang
Guo nearly burst out laughing. Raising her head, she glanced at the Emperor,
who happened to be suppressing his own amusement. Their eyes met.
Father
and daughter silently looked away at once.
They
absolutely could not laugh. If Lü Qing noticed, there would be no more
entertainment.
The
corners of Lü Yufan’s mouth twitched. In his previous life, how had he failed
to notice that the Emperor and the Grand Princess were such interesting people?
At
this moment, in everyone's eyes, Lü Qing looked like a clown, performing with
deep emotion over the loss of his wife and children solely to amuse them.
Clad
in her dignified official robes, Lin Yuexiang stood calmly to the side. One
minister who knew her well quietly muttered, “Lord Lin, is there something
wrong with him?”
“I
don’t know. This official isn't familiar with him.”
“Oh…”
Not
familiar with him, despite having borne him two children. It was the first time
he had ever encountered such a thing.
The
Emperor swallowed back all traces of his smile and maintained his majestic
demeanor. “What exactly are you implying?”
“Your
Majesty, Lü Qing has been wronged! After enduring ten years of bitter study, Lü
Qing finally became the top scholar. Why would I abandon the lofty halls of
government to become the Second Princess's prince consort? Why? Because the
Second Princess threatened me with the lives of my wife and children! She even
staged her own fall into the water, forcing me to save her. If I had refused, I
did not care about my own life, but I could not bear to watch my wife and
children die. In the end, I had no choice but to agree to the Second Princess's
demands.”
The
Emperor was so angry he almost laughed.
Though
Tang Xi had lived a rather frivolous life in recent years and had secretly kept
male favorites, she rarely caused trouble. She simply shut herself away in her
princess residence and amused herself.
As
long as Lü Qing tolerated it and did not come complaining to him, the Emperor
had no desire to interfere. After all, what dynasty lacked a few romantic
princesses?
Tang
Xi and Tang Zhao had always grown up under his watchful eye.
He
knew clearly everything they had done.
“Lü
Qing, you say the Second Princess threatened you. Do you have evidence?”
At
the Emperor’s question, Lü Qing panicked slightly. In his haste, he replied,
“The maids in the residence can testify for me.”
“Very
well. Summon the Second Princess and all the maids of her residence into the
palace.”
Tang
Xi arrived in a fury.
Whatever
the case, she was still the Emperor’s daughter.
The
eunuch delivering the imperial decree had quietly given her a hint.
When
she heard that Lü Qing had a wife and children and was claiming that she had
used their lives to force him into marriage, she was so furious she nearly
fainted.
She
had long given up dreaming of becoming the Crown Princess. All she wanted now
was to live out her life in carefree pleasure. Yet having Lü Qing as her prince
consort truly felt like the unluckiest thing to happen to her in eight
lifetimes.
“Lü
Qing, everyone is here. Which of these people are your witnesses?” the Emperor
asked.
Lü
Qing first turned his gaze to Juanzhu.
“Juanzhu,
tell them. Wasn't it because the Second Princess threatened me with the lives
of my wife and children that I had no choice but to marry her?”
Juanzhu
quickly nodded.
“Yes.”
She knew exactly what Lü Qing was trying to do. Once he succeeded, her own status would rise as well.
Comments
Post a Comment
I'd love to hear your thoughts! Feel free to comment anonymously—no Google account is required. Please keep discussions friendly and respectful🌸