Chapter 1275: The Fool’s Daughter (54)

She was like an enchantress, an enchantress with a heart of stone, one who cared little for sentiment. The moment she appeared, she stole his soul away.

From the first time he met her, Yuan Shuo had known she wasn't a simple woman. She wasn't someone to be trifled with.

But this was exactly the kind of woman he liked.

He loved her shrewdness and intelligence, her sharp brilliance and iron will, and he loved the occasional tenderness she revealed.

“Then… have I enchanted you?” Tang Guo raised her eyes slightly. The corners of her lips curved upward, and her voice softened with a teasing sweetness. “Brother Shuo…”

That final syrupy “Brother Shuo” instantly emptied Yuan Shuo's mind.

At that moment, his eyes and thoughts held only the woman sitting opposite him.

Had she enchanted him?

If not, would he be sitting here now?

Would he have spent the past several months staging chance encounters with her every morning?

Would he have rescheduled all meetings to the mornings so he could leave work on time?

Because he wanted to see her, to speak with her, he had given all of his free time to her.

At last, he understood why, in his father's eyes, his mother had always been more important than him.

He remembered clearly.

When he was little, he'd once been naughty and made his mother cry. He had been beaten, and his mother had cried too.

When his father came home, he hadn't even spared Yuan Shuo a glance. Instead, he'd held his mother in his arms and comforted her with endless “Baby, baby…”

Back then, he had only been five years old.

He had been the actual baby, okay?

Yet his father only comforted his mother. Not only had he failed to receive any sympathy, he had even been scolded for making his precious darling cry.

Now, Yuan Shuo finally understood that feeling.

“Brother Shuo? You're daydreaming.”

He snapped back to reality and looked straight into her eyes.

“I've been enchanted.”

“What?” Tang Guo lifted her brows and asked again, “What did you say, Brother Shuo?”

“I said I've been enchanted. By you.” Yuan Shuo admitted honestly, no longer concealing the affection in his eyes. “Xiaoguo, you captivated me long ago. You've enchanted me so thoroughly that I lost my sense of direction. Only when I'm with you can I clearly see the path beneath my feet.”

“Pfft—”

Tang Guo laughed.

“Brother Shuo, I didn't know you were such a romantic.”

“No, I'm not. I'm actually a very practical person. All the romance in me only came into existence because I met you. Without you, none of it would exist.”

The system rolled its eyes.

These cheesy love lines never changed. Every time, he had another endless supply of them.

Tang Guo couldn't stop smiling.

“So, Brother Shuo, what exactly are you trying to say?”

“I…”

Yuan Shuo paused, his eyes fixed on her face.

“What I want to say is that, without realizing when it happened, a certain girl has already rooted herself in my heart. Not a single root can be pulled out. If I force her out, my heart will be left full of holes, and I would die because of it.”

The system was speechless.

Right.

You're my life.

This guy really knew how to talk.

“Xiaoguo, that girl is you.”

Tang Guo smiled faintly.

“So, Brother Shuo, are you saying you like me?”

“Yes. I like you.”

“How much?”

Yuan Shuo thought carefully before answering.

“I like you more than I like myself.”

The system nearly choked.

Amazing.

So that's what they mean by loving someone more than yourself.

Suddenly, Yuan Shuo hurriedly reached into his pocket and took out a small box. He pushed the exquisitely crafted case toward Tang Guo.

“My mother asked me to give this to you as a first meeting gift. We spent a long time choosing it together that day. I hope… you like it.”


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter 1: Got Dumped on the Day of the Wedding

Chapter 2: Does It Matter If I Am Gay?

Chapter 4: Diablo 1