Chapter 1274: The Fool’s Daughter (53)
“Jinghua, I don't have any money right now. I spent everything helping your younger brother buy his house. How could I possibly have any left?”
“Mom, is our old house going to be demolished soon?”
She had never paid much attention to these things, and the Song family home was located in a lively downtown district. Who would have thought it was slated for redevelopment?
When she got married, she hadn't transferred her household registration. It was only a few years ago that Old Madam Song had come to persuade her to move her registration to Tang Lide's side. She had said that it looked improper for a married couple to have separate household registrations.
Back then, Old Madam Song had also mentioned wanting to transfer the registration of one of Song Jinghua's elder sister's daughters into the family home. Her elder sister had married far away, and her youngest daughter, Yuyu, liked this city very much. Since Song Jinghua would be moving her registration out, there would be an available spot just in time for Yuyu.
Now that she heard the family home was about to be demolished, Song Jinghua couldn't help thinking more deeply about it.
“Who told you that?” Old Madam Song asked. “There is such a possibility, but nothing has been finalized yet. Even if redevelopment does happen, it'll be a long time before we see any money. I've already spent everything helping your younger brother buy his house. I'm eating vegetables every day now.”
Her tone was evasive.
Song Jinghua found it difficult to press further.
The husband and wife sat silently in the hospital room.
Tang Guo saw everything clearly through the system's surveillance screen.
Once she saw them fall into silence, she stopped watching.
“Xiaoguo, with everything happening in your family lately, do you need my help?” Yuan Shuo asked.
After all, this was a major matter, and she was the woman he liked. If she wanted, he could solve all the trouble with the loan sharks.
“If you need money, I can lend it to you first.”
Tang Guo raised her eyes and smiled.
“Do I look short of money?”
Yuan Shuo slapped his forehead.
Right.
Was she lacking money?
Not at all.
Since she wasn't short on money, why was she standing by and watching all this happen? What exactly was she waiting for?
“Xiaoguo, are you really just going to watch them like this?”
“What else should I do?” Tang Guo sipped her milk tea leisurely. “Help them repay the loan sharks so they can continue supporting outsiders, acting like philanthropists, tightening their own belts while being generous with other people's money?”
“Then what's your plan?”
“I'll wait until they lose everything. I want them to experience what it feels like to grow old with no one to rely on, abandoned by everyone. I want to see whether all the people they were once so generous toward will come to their rescue when they need help the most.”
“You mean… you're putting them through all this so they'll wake up and reflect on themselves?”
Tang Guo laughed softly.
“No.”
“How could I be that kind-hearted?”
“They only gave me life and raised me. Naturally, I only owe them the duty of support. Beyond that, I can't do anything.”
“Waiting for them to become destitute isn't because I want to save them. It's because I want to see them become destitute. People who are too generous are better off poor. When they're poor and struggling to feed themselves, they won't have the spare energy to help everyone else, and no one will keep showing up to take advantage of them.”
“So…” Yuan Shuo hesitated. “This is revenge?”
Had it been anyone else, he wouldn't have thought so.
But with her, that was the first thing that came to mind.
Tang Guo's crimson lips curved upward. Her beautiful face was filled with cold mockery.
“Yes.”
“This is revenge.”
Those who made mistakes had made mistakes.
The harm they caused had already been done.
Even if they repented, all it meant was that the rest of their lives might be different.
As far as she was concerned, forgiveness would never come.
No one was an exception.
The system silently sighed.
As expected.
Her heart was as hard as iron and had never changed.
Looking at the dazzling brilliance in her eyes, Yuan Shuo couldn't help blurting out,
“Xiaoguo… you look rather captivating like this.”
Comments
Post a Comment
I'd love to hear your thoughts! Feel free to comment anonymously—no Google account is required. Please keep discussions friendly and respectful🌸