Chapter 1219: The Princess Consort Whose Memories Were Altered (94)
With the immortal qi remaining within them, the paper puppets could survive for the span of an ordinary human life.
Only after the backs of the "Tang family" disappeared from sight did Yun Mujun withdraw his gaze. He turned to his trusted aide and asked, "I heard Second Miss Tang is returning this year. When will she arrive?"
"Most likely after winter."
"After winter, huh..." Yun Mujun narrowed his eyes and chuckled. Pointing toward the two bruised and battered men atop the city wall, he ordered, "Go. Bring them down and tie them up. We'll take them back for Her Majesty the Empress to see."
More than ten years later, the Shangguan brothers finally met Tang Guo again.
This time, however, they were prisoners, while she sat high above them as the exalted Empress.
Seeing that face, unchanged from all those years ago, both men were overcome with emotion.
But bound and escorted by guards, they couldn't approach her.
Most of all, the unfamiliarity in her eyes chilled their hearts.
They had heard that she had lost her memories, forgotten the past, and no longer remembered them.
She no longer remembered their cruelty, nor any of the things that had once passed between them.
"I…" Shangguan Yi found himself unable to speak.
Before seeing her, he had believed with absolute certainty that he could bring her back.
But after seeing her, he knew it was impossible.
He was now a king without a kingdom, a prisoner. Why would she ever leave with him?
"Tang Guo, I'm sorry. I was the one who hurt you. But I want you to know, I've always had you in my heart. Truly. For the past ten years, you have never left my thoughts."
Unable to suppress himself any longer, Shangguan Jing poured out the torment of his years of longing.
"I thought of you every day. All the things you left behind, I couldn't bear to use them. Everything you arranged back then, I left untouched."
Shangguan Yi was unwilling to fall behind.
"I wronged you and bullied you in the past. It was all my fault. I should never have given you away. I was wrong."
"Ever since you left, I often sat in the Consort Pavilion. Sometimes I'd remain there all night, thinking only of you. Every night, I'd wonder—if I hadn't agreed to the King of Chen's request, would you have stayed by my side forever?"
Listening to their heartfelt confessions, Tang Guo suddenly laughed.
"So, why have you come to see me? Because you're sincere? Because I occupy your hearts? So now you expect me to leave with you?"
"If you come with me, I can carve out another empire for you. In the future, you will be my Empress."
Shangguan Yi's eyes blazed with ambition.
Hidden behind a screen and eavesdropping, Beitang Huo looked thoroughly contemptuous.
Compete with him in conquering kingdoms?
What a fool.
"I can do the same!" Shangguan Jing hurriedly added.
Tang Guo merely smiled faintly.
"I've already heard about everything you did to me in the past. I think that even if I remembered it all, I still wouldn't forgive either of you."
"What must we do for you to forgive us?" Shangguan Yi asked anxiously.
He had believed that his words would move her.
After all, he was willing to conquer the world for her.
"You say that I occupy your hearts and that your feelings are sincere?" Tang Guo asked, resting her chin on her hand. "Is that right?"
The two men hurriedly nodded.
"Of course."
"So whatever I ask, you'll do?"
Her eyes landed on Shangguan Yi, and seeing him straighten immediately, the corners of her lips curled upward.
"After all, both of you just said you'd conquer kingdoms for me."
"Yes," the brothers answered in unison. "Whatever you ask, we'll do. Our feelings for you are genuine."
Tang Guo nodded and clicked her tongue softly.
Then she casually picked up two daggers from beside her and lightly tossed them in front of the two men.
Comments
Post a Comment
I'd love to hear your thoughts! Feel free to comment anonymously—no Google account is required. Please keep discussions friendly and respectful๐ธ