Chapter 1170: The Princess Consort Whose Memories Were Altered (45)

 Perhaps because he had grown accustomed to it, Shangguan Jing indulged her every whim.

Looking at all the rare treasures filling the room, Tang Jiao sighed decadently and said to her system, “No wonder there are so many shameless seductresses in the world. Living like this is truly blissful. You can have anything you want.”

Host, you can't take any of these things with you. Don't be deceived by appearances, System 222's youthful voice rang out, sounding exceptionally serious.

Tang Jiao let out a long sigh. “I'm only thinking about it, not that I'd really do something like that. Relax, I'm a person with strong willpower. I definitely won't become addicted to this kind of life. I know why I came here. I just wonder how Elder Sister is doing in the palace.”

As far as I know, Shangguan Jing has secretly created quite a bit of trouble for Shangguan Yi to prevent him from discovering the truth too soon. It's been nearly ten days since Tang Guo returned to the palace, and Shangguan Yi hasn't had time to see her.

However, he hasn't neglected to send rewards and gifts. In a few days, he should finally go see her.

Resting her chin in her hands, Tang Jiao muttered, “I hope things are going smoothly for Elder Sister.”

Don't worry, Host. Tang Guo's IQ and EQ are both higher than yours. She'll definitely thrive in the palace like a fish in water.

Tang Jiao was speechless. She had never expected to be mocked by her own system. But remembering that all their plans had been devised by that cheap older sister, she admitted, “Ancient people were actually very smart.”

Of course they weren't stupid. They lacked modern conveniences, but their creativity was limitless. Take those ingenious puzzle boxes, for example. Most modern people probably couldn't figure them out.

And so, the woman and her system began discussing just how clever the ancients truly were.

Meanwhile, Tang Guo had also enjoyed nearly ten peaceful days within the palace.

On the eleventh day after entering the palace, Shangguan Yi finally finished handling most of his affairs. Remembering that there was still a Consort Jiao in the harem, he came to visit her.

“I have been neglectful lately,” Shangguan Yi said, holding Tang Guo's hand. “I've left you alone all this time.”

Just as he was about to take things further, he noticed something subtly wrong about Tang Guo's reaction.

He immediately stopped.

His sharp eyes fixed on her for a long moment.

Then he released her hand and said coldly, “Who are you?”

“Your Majesty, this concubine is Tang Jiao,” Tang Guo answered instinctively. “Your Majesty, have you been so busy lately that you've forgotten this concubine?”

“No. You are not my Consort Jiao.”

Shangguan Yi rejected the idea instantly.

He was an emperor, and no one was more suspicious than an emperor.

Moreover, he knew Consort Jiao better than anyone. Although the woman before him looked exactly like her, there were countless little details that could never be perfectly imitated.

Closing in on Tang Guo step by step, Shangguan Yi suddenly seized her throat, his voice icy.

“Speak. Who are you? Where have you hidden my Consort Jiao?”

“Your Majesty… this concubine is Tang Jiao. I truly am Tang Jiao.”

Shangguan Yi tightened his grip further. Even as she nearly suffocated, she stubbornly refused to admit otherwise, insisting that she was indeed Consort Jiao.

And from her eyes, he saw no trace of deceit.

Had he not been absolutely certain that she wasn't Consort Jiao, he might have believed every word she said.

Realizing that even death could not force the truth from her, Shangguan Yi released his hand.

Ordering that she be confined to her palace, he turned and left.

Tang Guo cried out after him several times, acting the part. Only after he had disappeared completely did she stop.

Yet she did not relax.

The palace had ears everywhere.

She had to see this performance through to the end and play the role of a consort abandoned and doubted by the emperor to absolute perfection.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter 1: Got Dumped on the Day of the Wedding

Chapter 2: Does It Matter If I Am Gay?

Chapter 3: I Am Your Father